Monday 29 October 2012

Gates of Rapture by Caris Roane (arc)



Series: The World of Ascension (6)

Paperback, December 24 2012, 416 pages
Goodreads | Amazon UK | Amazon US

As a vampire and a warrior, Leto Distra is deadly. But after years of being forced to drink dying blood, he is now part beast—a wild savage thing lurking beneath the surface. With war on the horizon, Leto is determined to help the Guardians of Ascension destroy the enemy who turned him into a monster. And there’s only one woman who can help him. Grace Albion is certain that she’s meant to be with Leto, but their future may be cut short by the impending battle. Now Grace must embrace her obsidian flame powers—and bind her powers with Leto’s—if they’re ever going to survive. With the fate of the world at stake, they must tap into powers they never knew they had…and unlock their deepest passions. Sexy and thrilling, Gates of Raptures is the breathtaking final book in Caris Roane's Guardians of Ascension series.


My thoughts

Received this as an ARC copy. Would just like to say first and foremost I haven't read the others in this series, which is silly of me yes I know, but I wasn't sure whether I wanted to buy the series. Okay so to the review. I actually enjoyed this book. I really wasn't expecting too. There where some parts that did confuse me but I think this is because I haven't read the previous ones. I was intrigued by the whole thing with mortal ascending up to the different levels of Earth (like Second Earth, Fourth Earth, so on). Once the mortals had received the call of ascension they turned into vampires, but no normal vampires, these vampires had wings. Which I loved. I love anything with wings. So anyways, they're in the middle of this big war with the death vamps and their leader Greaves. Now death vamps are like the normal vamps except they drink dying blood (blood took from mortal or ascender at point of death). Grace is one third of the obsidian flame and at first doesn't want any part in the war, she isn't a warrior and she doesn't believe in herself enough to even contemplate playing a huge part in the war. Of course being a part of the awesome trio she can't escape her fate. I loved Grace's character she was so pure and could see the pureness in others around her. She was sweet, gentle and strong, which is everything you want from a heroine. I loved hers and Leto's interactions, escpecially after they'd completed the bonding ritual (not as cliché as it sounds). I liked the fact that Grace had made some mistakes in her life but always followed what she thought to be the right decision no matter how hard it was for her to follow through. There where parts where I felt it drag a bit and felt like lots could have been cut out completely, especially the dialogue. I felt that the author was trying too hard to get us to understand what was happening and wasn't letting us have a little guessing room. I love guessing in books, it always surprises me when I'm wrong but I couldn't have that experience reading this as everything was spelled out in simple terms (which some may like).
There where some formatting problems and a few spelling errors. It didn't flow smoothly enough for me between characters. But this is an arc so I'm sure these problems will be sorted out before its release.
Soo I liked this book and will be definitely be checking out the earlier books when I get a chance. It had a nice pace and some interesting, kick-ass characters that I'm yearning to know more about. 


NOTE: This book contains sexual scenes and is not recommended for younger readers.

No comments:

Post a Comment