Thursday 25 October 2012

The Vampire's Daughter by Shayne Leighton (arc)



Series: Of Light and Darkness (1)

Kindle Edition, June 26 2011, 294 pages
Goodreads | Amazon UK | Amazon US

When one human stands before an army of impossible obstacles, the likelihood of overcoming them in this coming-of-age modern fairytale may result in war between light and darkness. Abandoned as an infant in Prague, naive and strong-willed Charlotte Ruzikova was raised by one of the last Vampires left alive. As a human, she knows no other home than the one nestled deep in the woods of Eastern Europe, where Witches drew spells of enchantment, Phasers threw tea parties, and Elves are the closest in kin. Charlotte has lived her life in the dark with her Guardian, content to having him to herself and reveling in his attention, until she's realizes she wants more... Resident medical doctor and Vampire, Valek Ruzik fears the day his ward would come of age and blossom into a fine woman, and he is forced to confront his own motives as time is of the essence once his past catches up to him, and their lives become endangered... As genocide and war threatens their secret society, the dictator in power is ready to wipe out Valek's race, but Charlotte will not allow that to happen. Fighting for the only one she's ever loved and truly believed in, she will do whatever it takes to save their love...before the sun comes up and light takes over.


My thoughts

Okay so lets start of with their relationship. It was creepy with a capital C. Seriously this dude is like her adoptive dad, why the hell would he see her as anything other than his daughter. The story was good I liked the way it wasn't just vamps against vamps, there where elves, witches and even spider people (which I loooved). I don't know this story just didn't appeal to me despite it having some of my favourite creatures in. I found myself getting increasingly bored with the story, it was taking all my effort just to read it. Don't get me wrong this was a nice little book and did have some fresh takes on the whole vampire thing (like dying a gruesome death every night). I loved finding out about some of the mystical creatures I hadn't heard about before (such as the spider dude). I didn't get the whole war between the vamps and elves, there was no explanation to how the feud started in the first place. A nice bit of background would have been extremely nice. The whole relationship just cast a shadow over this book for me, I'me sure I would have loved it if not for it making my skin crawl. It wasn't the fact that they got together, they're not related so technically there wasn't anything wrong with it. And I did kind of get over it, its just that they kept switching their roles, one minute they where alll 'ohh we're lovers, lets kiss each other crazy' and then the next its all 'Ohh my lovely little lottie, my dear sweet child'. It was confusing and icky. I could have dealt with it if they where clear on what they where to each other. Anyways others have loved this book but it just wasn't for me. I'd advise you all to make your own opinion of this book because todays just one of them days :/

1 comment:

  1. Cute blog! Thanks for the great review, I'll be avoiding this book.

    From FF.
    New follow via GFC.
    Alise - My FF Post

    ReplyDelete