Sunday 16 December 2012

[book review] Sister Assassin by Kiersten White




Series: Sister Assassin (1)

Paperback: 302 pages
Published by: HarperCollins UK, Children's (February 19, 2013)
My Copy: Netgalley

She never chose her deadly gift but now she’s forced to use it. How far would you go to protect the only family you have left? Annie is beset by fleeting strange visions and a guilty conscience. Blind and orphaned, she struggles to care for her feisty younger sister Fia, but things look up when both sisters are offered a place at Kessler School for Exceptional Girls. Born with flawless intuition, Fia immediately knows that something’s wrong, but bites her tongue… until it’s too late. For Fia is the perfect weapon to carry out criminal plans and there are those at Kessler who will do anything to ensure her co-operation. With Annie trapped in Kessler’s sinister clutches, instincts keep Fia from killing an innocent guy and everything unravels. Is manipulative James the key to the sisters’ freedom or an even darker prison? And how can Fia atone for the blood on her hands?


I loved White's début novel Paranormalcy so when this appeared on NetGalley I was desperate to read it. Although this book was good I did love the Paranormalcy Series more, there's a lot of to-and-fro with this book. It skips back and forth between the present and future a lot, and whilst this does give us a better understanding of the characters and story, it is a little confusing (especially if you're like me and don't read the chapter titles). Although I like the cover of this book I have to say I love the US version much better (pic at end of post). I wouldn't have read this book based on the cover alone.
I did love the characters in this book, especially Fia (Sophia). Fia has some 'killer' instincts, she always knows when something's wrong and can adapt to any situation she finds herself in. The thing that really stood out for me with Fia is, even though she has killed to protect her sister Annie (Annabelle), she actually felt guilty about it. Unlike in other novels I've read Fia doesn't just forget about what she's done, she lives with the guilt everyday and it kind of makes her a little crazy and unpredictable.
Annie, ohh how I felt sorry for Annie. She's been blind for most of her life and when she finally gets offered a treatment she jumps at the chance, not realising that by doing so she's hurting her sister. I didn't really feel any attachment towards Annie, I suppose it was because she was wayyyy to naive. I mean if I was blind I'd think that I'd have a hard time trusting anybody let alone total strangers over my sister. There's also the fact that she can supposedly tell when someone is lying, like with James for example she knows he's up to no good. Yet when it comes to Clarice she's in complete denial.
Adam... He wasn't really present much in the novel even though most of it centred on him. I don't really know who he is as a person. I was rooting for there to be something between him and Fia though.
Now James. Arghh, he's one of those characters that you both hate and love. I just don't know what to make of him, is he good, is he bad? I can't figure him out. I can't wait to read the next book to see what his game really is, because I don't believe him for a second.
The story itself however was lacking. I loved it at the beginning and was constantly wondering where the author was going to take us and although there wasn't anything really wrong with the story, there just wasn't a whole lot going on. There was a few action scenes and a whole lot of mystery. But to me the story seemed to be mostly centred on how the two sisters are feeling. Which is fine at first but does get rather tedious after so many chapters of Fia feeling angry, guilty and protective and Annie feeling depressed and guilty. It was a little too much for me. 


US Cover


No comments:

Post a Comment