Saturday 15 September 2012

The Charm by Alana Siegel (arc)



Series: Olivia Hart and the Gifted Program (1)

Kindle Edition, December 2011, 161 pages
Goodreads | Amazon UK | Amazon US 



THE CHARM is a young adult fantasy novel and book #1 in the Olivia Hart and the Gifted Program series.
Imagine what high school would be like if your ex-boyfriend fired lightning when he was angry, the sporty girl in your class had enough strength to lift a flatbed truck, and you could charm your way out of trouble.
When shy, sixteen year old, Olivia Hart, witnesses the actual rainstorm her ex-boyfriend, Max Smarr, creates in Pandora high school's cafeteria, she’s convinced she’s lost her mind. Nothing will prepare her, however, for the discovery of her own special Gift. 
Olivia Hart has always been satisfied living in the shadows of her peers, and so high school doesn’t get any easier when her charismatic brother goes off to college and her relationship with her edgy boyfriend comes to an end. When she comes across an antique charm, she finds out that she can compel people with her mind and hiding is no longer an option. With the help of her friends in the Gifted Program and each of their special Gifts, what happens next in this young love and coming of age story will force Olivia into the spotlight, test her friendships, and cause her to question her role in a society.
The Retreat, book #2 in the Olivia Hart and the Gifted Program series, will be available August 12, 2012!



My thoughts

Okay so it was really hard for me to get into this book. Part of the problem was probably because I was spending too much time on my blog and not paying enough attention to this book. For this I can only apologise to the author as it was probably no fault of hers that my attention wouldn't stay on what I was reading. The story line was good and the characters had the good qualities you expect from books like this. Yet I feel there was too much background information at the beginning, I understand we need some background but felt like the author went into too much detail. Some people may like this in their stories but it just bugs me. I will read this book again at a later date when I can devote my full attention to it and give it the credit it deserves. For now though I'm not going on to read the second in the series.

No comments:

Post a Comment