Thursday 22 November 2012

The Booby Trap by Anne Browning Walker (arc)







Kindle Edition, September 1 2012, 
Goodreads | Amazon UK | Amazon US


Welcome to The Booby Trap, a seedy bar where waitresses' skirts are high, necklines are low and customers show up for the eye candy. When brainy, beautiful, Harvard Ph.D. candidate Bambi Benson wants to study the women of the the Booby Trap for her dissertation, she goes undercover and joins them. All is going well for Bambi until handsome local celebrity Trip Whitley enters the scene. Hoping to shock his high-society family by dating a bimbo, Trip offers to pay Bambi to pretend to be his girlfriend. She accepts his offer and bides her time, waiting for the right moment to reveal her true identity and teach Trip not to judge based on appearances. After a series of dates carefully orchestrated for their publicity value, Bambi's trap is set. But there's one problem: the predator might have fallen in love with her prey.








I started this book because I wanted a break from all the teenage angst I'd been reading about lately and this nice romance definitely scratched that itch. This story follows Bambi (that's really her real name) as she works in a 'seedy' bar, kind of like hooters, to help her with her dissertation. Whilst there she caters for a stag do where she meets the *cough* charming *cough* Trip Whitley (heir to a top dollar dating service). Trips family are all pretentious and trying to rule his life, so obviously he wants to teach them and the papers a lesson by dating this supposed 'bimbo'. But our Bambi aint no fool. She decides two can play at this game, and uses him for his money, although I loved this idea (and tbh would probably do that myself) I couldn't help but feeling it was one small step from prostitution.

This was exactly the type of book I'd love to read on a lazy summers day, lay on the beach ('cos I do that all the time, you know lol!). The story is easy to follow and moves at a nice easy pace, not saying its slow it's just not all action packed. There are some really funny parts in this book, I was always trying to cover up my big cheesy, especially at the end with all the 'awwww' moments. I loved Bambi, she's smart & hot & nice & considerate & humble. You know what thinking back, no I very much dislike her, she's too perfect for me. Trip however I didn't really get him, I so just wanted to slap him across the head. What is it with stupid boys. It was like dude, grow a pair and just tell her how you feel you numnuts.
It was obvious from the start how this story was going to play out but you know what, I still liked it. It wasn't perfect but that just made me like it more. No book is perfect and you could feel the author's individual style in the way this book was written.
This book didn't contain any explicit content, but felt it was more of an adult book than a YA.



No comments:

Post a Comment