Tuesday 2 October 2012

The Seventh Blessing by Melissa Buell (arc)



Series: Tales of Gymandrol (1)

Kindle Edition, August 15 2011227 pages
Goodreads | Amazon UK | Amazon US 



Not all fairy blessings are enchanting . . . Unlike most royal eighteen-year-old girls, Samantha finds it difficult to be a prim and proper princess. When she discovers her seven fairy blessings that were bestowed at her birth are a lie, her entire world is turned upside down. Although she can forgive the feuding fairies who made this large error on her behalf, she must find a way to control her real blessings--which may be more trouble than its worth. Things start to become complicated when her best friend's brother becomes seriously injured just weeks before the annual knight competition. Samantha realizes the only way to help him and his family is to enter the competition by disguising her true identity. Balancing her mandatory princess lessons while hiding her secret blessings on top of this becomes difficult, but things begin to get challenging when Prince Nolan, a childhood friend, reenters her life. Samantha, bitter about their constant bickering relationship, suddenly begins to see Nolan in a new, and often confusing, light. But when she finds out her seventh blessing has yet to be decoded from the ancient tongue, Samantha's most dangerous quest of all is discovering the true power her real blessings hold. Now, the fate of herself, her future, and her kingdom lie in her hands.



My thoughts

I was rather sceptical of this book as the cover didn't really grab my attention or excite me in any way. The saying 'don't judge a book by its cover' is definitely relevant to this book as although the cover seemed very generic the story was nice and refreshing. I love books about fairies and this was no different. The pacing wasn't perfect, in my opinion, at first it was too fast. Then it did slow down somewhat, which made it easier for me to understand what was happening, but during the middle where they're all travelling I felt it was too slow I was eager to get to the end and find out what Sam's seventh gift was. There where little clues throughout the book as to what the last gift is but I was always guessing wrong, which was mainly the reason why I was so into this book. It isn't perfect and there's loads of places I feel could have been cut out completely because they didn't add anything to the story. Although I did enjoy this story I won't be rushing out to buy the next in the series.

No comments:

Post a Comment